Know how to better protect yourself and your family, online
Being online is part of our daily lives as we work, bank, shop and stay connected with friends and family. Connectivity is making our lives easier, but there are risks. Protecting yourself online is simple, so don't wait until you become the victim of cyber crime.
Improve your security with these tips:
- Password protect all your devices. Use strong alpha-numeric passwords and include upper and lower case letters.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Secure your computer and devices with firewalls, anti-virus software and up to date operating software.
- Only use secure WiFi connections.
- Protect your WiFi with a strong password and encryption settings.
- Be aware of scams and don't click on unexpected attachments or links you don't recognise.
- Limit the amount of identity information you post online.
- Check your privacy settings for social media accounts.
- Regularly back up your data.
- Reporting a cyber crime is like reporting any other offence. If you believe you have been a victim of criminal activity online you can report it on the Netsafe website here.
For more tips on protecting yourself online visit: