RE:MOBILE is the telecommunications sector’s product stewardship scheme aimed at reducing the environmental impact of unwanted mobile phones and their accessories via a circular economy solution.
This not-for-profit scheme is managed by the TCF and encourages New Zealanders to donate their unwanted mobile phones and accessories for re-use, refurbishment, or recycling. Its aim is to reduce the environmental impact of these devices and equipment and raise consumer awareness.
The scheme aims to:
- Reduce the environmental impact of unwanted mobile phones and their accessories in New Zealand
- Create a sustainable circular economy by re-using, refurbishing, and/or recycling devices or the valuable materials that each device contains
- Increase consumer awareness and change behaviour about mobile phone product stewardship
- Increase consumer confidence in the industry by establishing appropriate standards of practice and accreditation for product stewardship
- Enable a collective and collaborative solution to the responsible management of end-of-life mobile phones and accessories.