Before you begin any type of ground works, is is important the person completing the work has correct and up to date information on the location of cables, pipes and other utility assets in and around any proposed dig site. This is to ensure protection of themselves and valuable assets during these works.
BeforeUdig offer a free online service created to assist contractors to comply with the requirement for any person intending to dig to inform Essential Infrastructure Owners such as telecommunications and obtain asset location plans prior to the commencement of design or excavation works.
Aims are to:
- Simplify the process of requesting plans for a dig site
- Prevent injuries to workers
- Protect utility assets from interruption and preventable damage
- Protect the community from the consequences of utility infrastructure failure
- Provide a single point of request for information on where utility assets are located
Contractors and industry specialists may utilise this resource when conducting activities such as:
- Building or designing a new optic fibre network
- Road restoration works
- Responding to emergency works such as broken water mains
- Undertaking scheduled maintenance of an existing underground asset
Individuals may also utilise this resource when conducting activities such as:
- Building a new fence
- Installing a swimming pool or car port
- Planning a new subdivision
Note: While it is free to use the beforeUdig service to gather information on the possible presence of utility assets in and around your proposed excavation site, some utilities and local government organisations may charge to request plans and locate services. You will need to check with the relevant asset owners listed on your confirmation sheet if you require more information about these possible charges.
Don't play around with your safety - make sure you know what's below to keep yourself, those around you, and your community safe when working near underground utilities.