Working together to reduce international phone scam calls to New Zealand.
What it is
The purpose of the Phone Blocking Working Party is to develop an industry code of practice for network operators to identify, verify and take action on scam calls to landlines and mobile phones.
New Zealand, like many other countries, is targeted by off-shore based phone scammers calling or texting national landline and mobile users.
The scammers attempt to persuade anyone who answers their call, or receives their text, to cooperate in some way.
Their objective is to extract funds from the recipient by deception, and transfer it to the scammer’s bank account.
- A Code detailing the agreed process for identifying and blocking international scam traffic targeting New Zealand customers.
- Consultation with interested parties on the draft Code.
- Implementation plan and agreed reporting metrics, if any.
- Ongoing discussion forum.
Who it applies to
Who it affects
- Landline and mobile phone customers
- Network operators